The Cedar County Library was voted into existence in April 1, 1947, along with a $.10 per hundred dollar valuation in property tax to support it.
- The Cedar County Library and Dallas County Library formed the Cedar-Dallas Cooperative in 1949.
- The El Dorado Springs Library, which was begun by the Twentieth Century Club, became a part of the Cedar County Library in 1949.
- Polk County Library joined the Cooperative in 1951. Bolivar Public Library became a part of Polk County Library in 1951.
- Cedar County Library, Dallas County Library, and Polk County Library then became Southwest Regional Library.
- Later, Dade County Library and Hickory County joined, and Dallas County Library dropped out of Southwest Regional Library in 1965.
Southwest Regional Library broke apart in 1995, and the county libraries went their separate ways. John D. Smith gave a building to the city of El Dorado Springs to be used as a library. The Friends of the Library, Inc. of El Dorado Springs were very instrumental in gathering donations to be used in the refurbishing of the building. Many Friends donated time and labor for this to happen in 1998. Cedar County Library rents the building from the City of El Dorado Springs. In 2020, the Cedar County Library District began a fundraising campaign to build a new library building in El Dorado Springs.
Cedar County Library automated their collection in 2001, and developed their first website with an online catalog. They began to offer free public wi-fi in 2006. A tornado took the Stockton Branch in 2003, and it operated out of a modular classroom for five years. A generous donor gave the library a start on raising the money for a new building in 2006. The building was started in 2007 and finished in 2008. The library is very grateful to the people who voted the 1/4 of cent sales tax in 2017 to support the library.
Geneva Sharp Branch
717 East St, Stockton, MO 65785
John D. Smith Branch
808 S. Main, El Dorado Springs, MO 64744
|Monday – Friday : 9:00 am to 6:00 pm||Saturday – 9 am to 3 pm||Sunday CLOSED|
Current Board Members
Kay Forest, Board President
Carole Rickman, Board Treasurer
Kent Fortney, Board Secretary
Carol Butts, Member
Larry Nottingham, Member
Meet Our Staff
Tiffany Scrogham – Director
Geneva Sharp, Stockton Branch
Michele Tvedt – Branch Manager
Cathy Kloster – Circulation Clerk
Shelby Williams-Circulation Clerk, Youth Services Coordinator
Noah Young – Circulation Clerk
John D. Smith, El Dorado Springs Branch
Linda Jamison – Branch Manager
LeAnnis Fox – Circulation Clerk
Kathy Koca – Circulation Clerk and Cataloging
Linda Mann – Circulation Clerk
Ruth Leonard – Book Processor